Tuesday, September 9, 2008

NJCCCS

I found the NJCCCS website to be extremely informative and insightful. It also made me happy to see that these guidelines and standards have been set for all to see (administrators, teachers, students, parents, etc.). I believe that it is equally important for students to be efficient in computers and technology as it its for them to be efficient in math, reading, and writing. The world that these students are growing up in is one dominated by technological advances such as computers and cell phones. It is the responsibility of the school systems to ensure that students are adequate in the basic features of technology especially with regards to the computer. It is a great thing to see so much attention being paid to technology in the classroom.

When I find myself in the classroom I will be sure to incorporate as much technology as I can. I believe it works in two positive ways. For one, it is speaking in a language that many of the students can easily understand. These students have been brought up in a time dominated by technology, and that is what they have learned. The other positive thing is that technology in the classroom can further the students knowledge of things like computers. Overall, the NJCCCS website was informative, and it is extremely encouraging to see this kind of attention being paid to technology in the classroom.

http://www.nj.gov/education/cccs/s8_tech.pdf

5 comments:

Elena said...

I agree that this class has gotten me excited about using technology when I finally get into my own classroom. However, I don't think we have to worry about it being our job to teach the kids to use it, I think for the most part they will be teaching us! That is the reason I think this class is so important for aspiring teachers. Even though our students will probably be more proficient in much of the available technology then we are at least this class introduces us to what's out there. For instance, I never blogged before, and I would probably have still been in the dark about the whole process. Now, thanks to this class, I think I would like to have a class blog where my students and their parents can get information and post questions and thoughts.

Dr. Luongo said...

Interesting post on the NJCCCS, John.

Your infusion of technology will be important in the lives of your students, too. As Elena said, I bet the students will be teaching *you*.

I know my students have shown me many technological things that I had no idea about! Who knew you could have your words appear and disappear in a Word document?! ;)

Thanks for posting!

Violeta said...

I think the good thing about the classroom environment now is ---- teachers are open to the idea that the students are actually teaching them. In this case, we must admit that the students nowadays are really up-to-date about technology and sometimes we wonder how they do it! But this class can indeed help us out. I think the important thing is for teachers to be open to the idea that it is really time to incorporate technology in the classroom. Frankly, I don't think it is even a choice now. Well, unless we want our classrooms to be a non-engaging and non-productive environment. But I don't think anyone of us wants that.

Nicole said...

I think not only is technology in the classroom important but parents should try to be learning the new technology as well. I know that my 18 year old brother and my 16 year old sister are more adapt to the world wide web and computers then I am. They actually DO teach me. It's funny how children's parents are illeterate in the sense of technology. If they don't try to catch up now in the ever changing technological world they are going to be left behind.

Michele said...

I agree that the NJCCCS are great guidelines for teachers to follow. It helps teachers target cumulative progress indicators, which tell you what the students need to know by the end of the grade. Its a good guide when writting lesson plans.
The students we teach today must be well equipped in order to reach their full potential in a technological world. By taking full advantage of hardware and software, it will move students from being being passive to active learners which will raise their academic achievement.