Thursday, October 30, 2008

Computer Lab Favorites

When looking at the Computer Lab Favorites I decided to focus on one of the lessons that were provided. I chose the Social Studies section for grades 3-5. I liked how the lessons were divided up by subject and also by age group. The lesson I ended up looking at was one that took the students on an interactive tour of Ellis Island. The site starts with a slide that introduces the student to Ellis Island. I thought it was great how the students could experience the slide through audio, video, and photo. It also contained a map of Ellis Island that allowed the students to get an idea of what Ellis Island looked like.
The site continues to take the students on a stop by stop tour of Ellis Island. I think that a great way to use this program would be to have the students take the virtual tour then plan a trip to Ellis Island. It would be great for the students to be able to experience Ellis Island online and then in person. A good follow up assignment may be to compare and contrast what they saw online with what they experienced on the trip.
The Computer Lab Favorites site seemed like a good online learning tool for teachers to utilize in the classroom. The tutorial that I looked at was simple and easily understood and could be very beneficial.

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

John,

Thank you for your comments.

I agree that this site is an excellent one for teachers to use. It just has so many activities that can enrich your lessons.

Enjoy!